Sunday, June 26, 2011

"It's Karma"

I was checking out of the Hollywood Hills Hotel, when my cell phone rang and it was Kevin from the Bookshop West Portal in San Francisco, saying he'd sold out of my book, Explaining Health: what you need to know to stay healthy. I was very excited and a fellow guest nearby, smoking a cigarette, overheard me and he said, "I have to get your book- I'm an author too and maybe it will help my book sell-it's karma!" I told him I had one copy with me and would sign it for him. He put out the cigarette, and asked me if I'd mind if he took the last blank page out of me book to write his email address on. I didn't mind, and when I told him the book was $20, he said."But I don't have any money!" I was really on the spot, having signed his name in the book, and the last page was torn out. I thought for a moment, and then I said, "I'll give you the book if you consider quitting smoking." He thought it over and then he agreed. I didn't even mention smoking in my book on health, I assumed everyone already knows it's bad for their health. I went one step further, and showed him how I quit smoking many years ago, by folding my arms and keeping them that way for five minutes, until the urge passes. I figured it was good karma.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your book selling out. It will be interesting to see if your method worked for him.

    ReplyDelete